NUT Members will be taking strike action at William Parker Sports College in Hastings on Tuesday, in protest at the forced conversion to an Academy, sponsored by the ARK Chain (which does not follow School Teachers' Pay and Conditions)
NUT members gave a solid 100% "Yes" vote for action in a recent ballot. However, the Union negotiated in good faith until the end of last week. As a result of progress made, we were willing to call off Tuesday's action if the employer (East Sussex County Council) agreed to request an extension to the negotiating period (as required under the anti-trade union laws). They refused on three occasions to do this !
In a message to parents and the local community, our members at William Parker Sports College tell us:
We are committed to teaching your sons for the future and for us to do this we need to be confident in our contracts as teachers. We need guarantees that our present terms and conditions will be secure.
We have been given no such guarantees.
As teachers at William Parker we want to work at the school for the duration of you sons education. For us to do this with skill and confidence we need security of employment.
- ALREADY teachers in our school, your sons’ teachers are school are being placed in a contractually weak position.
- ALREADY in our school, your sons’ teachers are unable to plan for the future.
- ALREADY in our school, your son’s teachers are being offered a future package that is less than colleagues in the other academies in East Sussex.
- ALREADY in our school, your sons’ teachers who were committed are thinking of finding more secure employment in other local academies that provide their teachers with this job security.
- ALREADY NUT TEACHERS HAVE FOUND ALTERNATIVE EMPLOYMENT DUE TO THIS UNCERTAINTY .